Saturday 28 July 2018

Sports bra mania


I know I swore I'd never make bras. And I know that these aren't strictly (technically) bras. But, since I don't carry much on my chest, a compression-style croptop sports bra works pretty well for me. So I guess I make sports bras now. I'm loathe to spend money on a pre-made one when there are pretty scraps and elastics sat in my stash.

First, late last year I made this:



Then tweaked the pattern to create my London Spitfire bra:



After that I decided to raid my scraps stash and make a "cut up" copy of the pattern to fit small and oddly-shaped pieces. I've tried to position the seams strategically to avoid lumps and chafing but I'm sure some purists would be horrified at  my approach.

A lot of the styling and colour choices came from what was in my stash at the time and what would coordinate nicely. I'm  beginning to run low on plush elastic, but I need to wait to stock up since I prefer to buy in person. Not all elastics are created equal.

So, out of this process came the (slightly scrappy) all-black bra:



The black and blue bra:

(with variegated thread in the topstitching!)

And the bumblebee bra:



This one is my only 2-layer bra, the large panels are lined in a knit on the front, but the centre and back panels are not. I think where I am using supplex, two layers will be needed in future. For the black bras, the main fabric had a lot more resistance and only stretched in one drection. So it seems fine.

That's it for now,

K x

1 comment: