Procrastination is an ugly thing.
I sat on this project for a year, then cut it out and sat on it for another year, by which time I'd forgotten everything about the pattern. In some mad and fleeting moment, I got it sewn up in a spare afternoon a couple of weeks ago.
It's the Sleeveless Scarf Blouse from Natsuno Hiraiwa's Shape Shape book, cut in a grey/blue chambray from La Petite Emelienne in Strasbourg (now closed down! :( ) the topstitching was just a random colour I had in my thread stash at the time, I think it's a midnight blue.
Having finished it, I can say the pattern is a little boxy and runs to the top of my hips. This was planned to fall into the category of "quirky but socially acceptable officewear", but it's a bit shorter and a bit boxier than I'd have liked.
The scarf neck is two pleated pieces of fabric attached at the shoulder, which should be artfully draped around your neck. I made my scarf from jersey and didn't hem it so it rolls in on itself a little.
I also switched out the buttons for some snaps because it seemed like they would suit the simplicity/minimalist aspect of the rest of the shirt. Big buttonholes seemed like they'd be a bit too heavy.
Incidentally, I'm experimenting more with sewing these on by machine. Generally I choose handsewing but machine stitching might be faster and more secure. Thoughts?
Tuesday, 28 October 2014
Wednesday, 8 October 2014
There was a time in the past when it seemed sensible to have a new project (usually a pretty dress) for every single occasion. That worked fine when it was a couple of times a term at university. Now? Well now occasions are pretty much twice a week so I'm going to have to admit it's just not going to work. My newest project is a project to cover two weddings, the Edinburgh Fringe, August's London Tap Jam, a glorious return to stitchery after The Dry Months and a 4-year sewiversary.
Meet my Nani Iro Herringbone blazer. It's my second attempt at Burda's Hip Length blazer. I stand by Burda producing some really interesting jacket patterns but am sad to see they're so rarely made by users. Perhaps it's a photography thing. Who really needs a pastel boxy trouser suit?
ANYWAY, I first made this pattern about a year ago in Nani Iro double gauze and was bloody convinced it was a great idea. I made some mistakes, cut without seam allowance because there wasn't enough fabric and made a hash of the back. Serious hash. You remember, right?
Still, I like it. It's relaxed a bit and seemed to suit that odd sea of kimonos and mad jersey jackets in London.
But let's get back to the project I finished 3 months ago, not the one I finished 12 months ago...
For this version I really wanted to make good use of the stripes so used them on the cuffs and pocket welts. The fabric was so narrow that the stripes showed up on some of the taller pieces unintentionally. I like how the (unavoidable) stripe on the inside matches the height of the stripe on the cuffs though. It's a nice touch.
I also added a breast pocket to hold my Ironic Sunglasses (and theatre tickets)
Just to prove something to you: the sleeve vents were functional at one point. No longer. I don't think they would ever get opened, so I just sewed it shut when adding the lining. There's also some snazzy topstitching and buttonholes in bright blue.
There were plans for a front closure but I decided
I didn't expect the jacket to be this big, it's quite huge. It also doesn't quite go with anything. So naturally I wear it with everything.
(Thank you to George and B for letting me steal their photos)