Tuesday 3 November 2020

Weekend Projects 1

Recently I did one of my classic "shut-in sewing binges". I'm still setting up my sewing space and haven't unpacked all of my boxes yet. I have tried to decant all of my stash into the cupboard but, embarrassingly, it doesn't all fit in right now. I'm not even sure what tipped it over capacity, but I saw the opportunity of a sewing weekend to maybe free up a bit of space in the cupboard.

I'm not ready yet to make complex projects, so I'm focusing on simpler items at the moment. I'm lucky I can shop my stash for quite a few items and will try to use up some more fabric before buying anything else. I do want to restock on cotton (for masks) and stretch activewear (to upgrade my leggings) but that needs to wait a little longer.

So I took things nice and slow and ended up with 3 items.

The Triangle Top

I fell in love with this fabric on the 2019 JP trip and knew that it had potential to become something twisty and conceptual that showed off both sides of the fabric (dots and stripes). So this Pinterest classic seemed like a perfect match.

I cut out some tiny paper triangles to figure out measurements and seamlines. I also used it to test stripe directions. As someone with slopey shoulders, I don't want to accidentally cut stripes in a way that emphasises them. The trickiest part of this was figuring out the sleeves. The photo shows gathering at the wrist and it's a bit puzzling. It's also confusing that the underarm seam is twisty when the garment is laid flat. You would expect only really to see that if one side of the triangle was longer than the other. If you sew the underarm seam like a normal underarm seam, then it just comes to a point where you effectively close up a cone.



I am thinking of making another mockup, taking photos and writing a tutorial - watch this space...

I finished the neck and wrist edges with bands because why not.


Fairisle Nautical Jumper

I fell in love with this fabric when buying my felt over the summer. It's so cosy and good for wearing about the house. It's a basic jumper using one of the Winifred Aldrich blocks.

I messed up the pattern placement on this so badly that it makes me laugh. I was not with it when I cut this!



Joggers

 I remade Burda 11/2012 #135 (?) using a sweatshirting remnant. These are so soft and cosy. I slimmed the leg down below the knee to make it easier to insert the cuff at the ankle, and because I like that style. The fabric is from girlcharlee and I'm a bit wary of how it will wear over time. I made my orange cardi out of a different colourway and it's a bit crusty after a year of wear.


I used an elastane jersey remnant for the cuffs but ran out so I had to piece one of the ankles together. 

I really enjoy wearing the nautical jumper and joggers together. They make me feel like growing a beard and repairing the lobster pots.

K


No comments:

Post a Comment