Wednesday, 8 October 2014

A project for every occasion...

There was a time in the past when it seemed sensible to have a new project (usually a pretty dress) for every single occasion. That worked fine when it was a couple of times a term at university. Now? Well now occasions are pretty much twice a week so I'm going to have to admit it's just not going to work. My newest project is a project to cover two weddings, the Edinburgh Fringe, August's London Tap Jam, a glorious return to stitchery after The Dry Months and a 4-year sewiversary.

Meet my Nani Iro Herringbone blazer. It's my second attempt at Burda's Hip Length blazer. I stand by Burda producing some really interesting jacket patterns but am sad to see they're so rarely made by users. Perhaps it's a photography thing. Who really needs a pastel boxy trouser suit?

ANYWAY, I first made this pattern about a year ago in Nani Iro double gauze and was bloody convinced it was a great idea. I made some mistakes, cut without seam allowance because there wasn't enough fabric and made a hash of the back. Serious hash. You remember, right?

Still, I like it. It's relaxed a bit and seemed to suit that odd sea of kimonos and mad jersey jackets in London.

But let's get back to the project I finished 3 months ago, not the one I finished 12 months ago...

For this version I really wanted to make good use of the stripes so used them on the cuffs and pocket welts. The fabric was so narrow that the stripes showed up on some of the taller pieces unintentionally. I like how the (unavoidable) stripe on the inside matches the height of the stripe on the cuffs though. It's a nice touch.

I also added a breast pocket to hold my Ironic Sunglasses (and theatre tickets)

Just to prove something to you: the sleeve vents were functional at one point. No longer. I don't think they would ever get opened, so I just sewed it shut when adding the lining. There's also some snazzy topstitching and buttonholes in bright blue.

There were plans for a front closure but I decided I was too lazy and discovered that the black pen used to mark the button/buttonhole wouldn't wash out I liked the sketchy fabric print and the markings were a fun design element for a sketchy jacket. Otherwise, I've added a tag and tried to add some pretty topstitching on the inside.

I didn't expect the jacket to be this big, it's quite huge. It also doesn't quite go with anything. So naturally I wear it with everything.


(Thank you to George and B for letting me steal their photos)

1 comment:

  1. A good jacket is a good jacket! Good make and very funny post.