Sunday 16 February 2020

Distractions pt5 - Daydreaming about fabric

My next sewing space currently looks like this:


My current sewing space still looks like this:

But, with spring creeping up on us, I may still get a few sewing sessions in my beautiful little unheated lean-to before we move out. Maybe I should use some time for one last shoot too.

While I wait for this dry spell to end, I have been daydreaming and purchasing things. My emotions have been a bit haywire since we committed to this renovation, so any fabric (or pattern) I fall in love with has to pass the Seven-Day Test. If I'm honestly still pining for it after a week then I will probably buy it. This is good discipline against impulse buys, but the problem is that I'm pining for fabric more than usual!

In October 2019, I fell in love with the Atelier Brunette Stardust Forest Double Gauze fabric. We were dancing at Burwash Manor and that's where Backstitch has its shop. I didn't buy anything on the day, but I did watch a person accidentally knock over one of those thread display stands. I bought some on their online shop a week later.


In November 2019, I brought back some fabric from Japan. The Seven-Day Test didn't apply, but I did bring everything back with the intention of splitting it with KL and letting her choose her haul (as she did with the fabric from India). I ended up with:
A wonderful navy/sunshine yellow double-sided knit. One side is polka dots, and the other side is stripes:

An odd knit remnant that looks like it should have stretch, but doesn't. It has navy/forest green stripes of varying width:

A cherry blossom quilting cotton, just because:

A six-point star design in black and white:

Sometime in 2019, I discovered Fabworks. This might be the most dangerous site in my browser history. Gorgeous, good quality fabrics, nice prices - these are good qualities in a fabric shop. The danger lies in their limited time only, no-restocking, constant additions of tasty new fabrics policy. This is what got me hooked on Emma One Sock. But importing from the US was a good enough barrier to stop me buying. Unfortunately(?) Fabworks is based in the UK, and very very convenient to order from. In autumn(?) 2019 they launched their HoH collection and I snapped up a pink/white herringbone. It makes my heart race.


In Jan 2020, they had loads of a raspberry sateen going cheap (it would be rude not to) and for some reason I got some blue twill for a blazer (What are you doing Katrina?! ou don't have the time to make a blazer?! Finish your new Burda 6875 first!)

Oh, and then there's Stoff & Stil. I have been idly browsing their website for a few months now - its nice photography and seasonal catalogues make it a bit nicer than your basic crafting site. Don't ask what happened here...just...just don't ask.

I got some black jersey, hopefully for some vest tops and t-shirts (and maybe pants).

I got some star-print jersey to combine with my leftover glow in the dark jersey - new PJs for me at some point.

Some red crepe georgette and some green crepe georgette. I don't really understand this. I was (and still am) absolutely convinced that it is the best possible fabric for a particular upcoming project. I am also convinced that, because it's synthetic, I will be able to make some awesome machine-washable/easycare formalwear from it. But, for whatever reason, I resolutely and stubbornly don't like crepe. It passed the Seven-Day Test, so it's mine now.


Until next time,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment