Sunday 30 August 2020

Distractions pt19 - makers gonna make (Lighting Gel)

In the background of some of my photos you might've seen a brown lamp. 



A few years ago while walking around TK Maxx, I saw this casing and fell in love with it. It was designed as a patio lamp - supposed to hold citronella candles or something similar. I thought it would look lovely as an indoor lamp, a with a bit of modification to hold a lightbulb. It was £40, which was a lot for me at the time. To get it back to the flat we had to bungee cord it to B's motorbike and I had to get the bus home. I'm amazed it didn't break. 

Anyway, we modified it and installed a lightbulb. I've always meant to install some diffusers too - because the light is a bit harsh at short distances. I scavenged some lighting gel a few years ago from a theatrical supplier, but never managed to install it in the lamp. I over-complicated the job in my mind and then avoided it. I also dithered between using the lighting gel and buying some replacement acrylic (frosted) for the window panes. 



Shortly after moving in, I had a crafty itch and broke out all the supplies for the lamp. It took me an evening to install the diffusion gel. It's not perfect, but it's good enough and now the lamp casts some softer light. This will be perfect when we finally get a sofa and it can take its new place on a side table. 



K x

No comments:

Post a Comment