Sunday 8 March 2020

Distractions pt8 - window shopping for a desk

One of the things that has given me angst about this fixer upper has been what my sewing space will look like. The water supply, the structural stuff, the electrics are all, to a certain extent, solvable and nothing special. There are experts and authorities who can help with them too. So, at this point I'm not that stressed about them (there's still time). The sewing space, however, boggles my mind and I have lost dozens of hours already trying to find the answer.

You will know that I'm quite particular about my sewing space:
  • I've enjoyed having hanging space for patterns and works in progress.
  • I now have a sewing machine and an overlocker, so it's nice to have a work surface where they can both live semi-permanently
  • The idea of a semi-permanent and multifunctional space has always been important for me. The machines take priority, but it should be a workspace for other things as well.
  • Light is the trickiest thing to get right. When my sewing space was underneath the loft bed, I never bothered to install better lighting, and it was often too dark. In my current lean-to, the sunlight in the summer puts the needle plate in the shade (even when the machine light is on). Natural light is somewhat of a commodity in Victorian terraces, and so I need to find a good artificial solution.
  • Storage space is needed for frequently used supplies and for "stock". Different disciplines will life together here and so I need to take into account all shapes and sizes of item
  • The stash cupboard needs a home. While it is technically storage space, it needs its own place amongst everything else
  • The work surface needs to be the right working height. At the moment I use a rescued gate-leg table, but it is old and wobbly and I should allow it to rest. I like to stand for some tasks, and often sit on a bar stool for others. Bar stools are taller than regular chairs/benches so it can be quite uncomfortable to work at a regular-height table when on the stool.
So I'm still thinking about this workspace. There are bar tables available for sale on the internet (Ikea, Next and Amazon), but I don't need the complementary seating, they are probably flimsy and I don't think the work surface is the right size for my needs. I've been looking at DIY options too and am interested in either an Ana White design (with modifications) or a plywood design by a guy called Brad. The DIY desks have better flexibility for customisation and I will be able to dismantle the desk if need be. The DIY option will probably be cheaper as well - though I haven't done a thorough costing yet.

In the meantime, my future sewing space currently looks like this:



More soon

K

1 comment:

  1. The Ana White folding workbench looks interesting- just not big enough for all the sewing bits.

    ReplyDelete