Tuesday 22 March 2016

New Tap Shoes!

Hey guys,

Look at my beautiful snazzy new shoes! Ain't nobody else got these shoes!

Shows pair of tap shoes with design detail, posing on a table


They are Ruben Sanchez dark green suede (#37) and terracotta nobuk (#7).

I wanted to share them because of the laser engraving. I got to customise the flat pattern pieces before they were sewn up. Talk about bespoke!

Shows generic flat pattern pieces for tap shoe
Ooooh

It took a long time to get my skills up to scratch for this etching - narrowing down from about 7 designs and paring back the eccentricities. Obviously the final product looked different to what I had been imagining early in the design. That's pretty standard though for makers, isn't it?

The possibilities were endless - far too easy to go overboard. In the end I tried to keep it simple and worked some crazy Inkscape magic.

Completed engraved accent pieces, ready for assembly


Image shows flat pattern pieces ready for assembly


My left foot has some "speed shading" too, so that my foot can move really fast - because the design will never look like it's in focus. Speed shading (allow Youtube to explain). Yes. Deliberate.

Pair of tap shoes lying on the floor


one tap shoe and my protective shoe bag
And my shoe bag of course



K


3 comments:

  1. Goodness me! Absolutely brilliant! Designing your own shoes is pretty special.

    ReplyDelete